The Borough of Bellmawr is proud and enthusiastic to announce the grand opening and official ribbon-cutting of a new Community Garden in town. The garden, located on land generously donated by Bellmawr Senior Housing, is nestled among a line of evergreens at the intersection of West Browning and Bell Roads.
Funding for construction and maintenance of the garden was provided through a grant by Sustainable Jersey, sponsored by PSEG Foundation. Spearheading the project for Bellmawr, Debbie Priolo-Allen, a local Girl Scout Troop leader and Bellmawr Green Team member, submitted the grant application to Sustainable Jersey, with the Borough being awarded $10,000 in funding for the project.
When asked about the project, Ms. Allen stated: “The members of Girl Scout Troop #30215 are not only committed to giving back, but are passionate about having a long-term positive impact on their environment. The Garden is a microcosm of the community, and I am honored to have had a role in its creation. We hope this addition to the Borough builds community pride and increases interest in sustainable practices.”
With the Bellmawr Public Works Department assisting in the construction, and Carl Klese, Principal of Bellmawr Senior Housing donating the land needed for the project, and by working hand-in-hand with Girl Scout Troop #30215, the community came together, and is delivering a “Community” Garden in the truest sense of the word.
All photos provided
Frank R. Filipek, Mayor of the Borough of Bellmawr, commented: “The Borough was happy to help, and are proud of the efforts given by all in realizing this achievement for our community.”
The grand opening and ribbon-cutting on the Community Garden is scheduled for Tuesday, May 22 at 6:00 p.m., located at Bellmawr Senior Housing, 255 West Browning Road (intersection of West Browning & Bell Roads), Bellmawr, New Jersey, with all welcome to attend.
Light refreshments will be provided at the conclusion of the ceremony.
About the Borough of Bellmawr:
Bellmawr is a borough in Camden County, New Jersey, with a population of 11,600, and is 3.110 square miles in area, and the 12th largest municipality out of 37 within the County. Bellmawr was incorporated as a borough on March 23, 1926, from portions of the now- defunct Centre Township, based on the results of a referendum held on April 21, 1926.
The boroughs of Mount Ephraim, Runnemede, and Lawnside were also created in the same two- day period. The borough was named for Ernest C. Bell, who own and operated Bell Farm. Bellmawr’s motto is “Progress Never Stops.”
About Sustainable Jersey
Sustainable Jersey is a nonprofit organization that provides tools, training and financial incentives to support communities as they pursue sustainability programs. By supporting community efforts to reduce waste, cut greenhouse gas emissions, and improve environmental equity, Sustainable Jersey is empowering communities to build a better world for future generations.