To provide an extra layer of security for residents who engage in online transactions from websites such as Craig’s List or Facebook yard sale groups, Bellmawr Council approved a Resolution at their August 26, 2019 meeting authorizing the creation of a Safe Exchange Zone.
The Safe Exchange Zone will be clearly marked outside the Police Department by the visitor parking lot at 21 East Browning Road and will be video recorded by state-of-the-art security cameras.
It is recommended that the zone be used during normal business hours (Monday-Friday) because police personnel are not in the police station at all times.
Police officers will not intervene or act as witnesses or negotiators for transactions or purchases.
The exchange of any type of weapons, destructive devices, any illicit items, controlled dangerous substances, or controlled dangerous substance paraphernalia are not permitted on Borough property and may be illegal.
The community is reminded that when making arrangements to complete any online or other face-to-face transaction, the following precautions should be taken:
- Complete all transactions during daylight hours, if possible.
- Bring a cell phone in case of emergency.
- Notify friends or family about the details of the exchange beforehand.
- Never invite strangers to your home or agree to meet at a stranger’s home.
- Reconsider any transaction with an individual who refuses to meet at a designated “Internet Purchase Exchange Zone.”
Once the Safe Exchange Zone is in place, we will update this story with photographs of its location.